Monday, March 28, 2016

Coffee Brownies

How does your morning start?  Like most, mine begins with coffee. 5 A.M. my alarm goes off and I sleepily walk to the kitchen, fill the kettle and turn the burner on. Then I proceed to get myself ready for work. A hissing sound from the kitchen reminds me why my focus is lacking. I turn the kettle off and pull out my coffee beans, grinder, filter and remember that my pour over still has coffee from yesterday and is currently sitting in the sink. Once that is clean and the coffee ground, I spend the time it takes to make a good cup of coffee for the start of my day.

Yes, you can buy the one cup brewing system if you are pressed on time. Just like you can buy brownie mix in a box. Add the oil and eggs. Stir and then bake. Where’s the fun in that? Where’s the pride? Yeah I know they’re good but why not hand craft something better. Something you will be stoked to let someone else try? Enjoy the work. Find peace in the time it takes. Do something you have pride in.


Coffee Brownies

1 Cup of Chocolate
1 Cup of Butter
1/3 Cup of Espresso (or 3-4 shots, depending on how much of a coffee taste you are looking for)
4 Eggs
1 Cup of Caster Sugar
½ Tsp of Salt
½ Cup of Flour (give or take ¼ cup)

-         -  Heat oven to 350
-          - Melt Chocolate and Butter together
o   Add Espresso to melting mix
-          - Whisk Eggs, Sugar, Salt
o   Add any extra liquid ingredients
-          - Add Chocolate to Eggs and Sugar
-          - Sift Flour and stir until mixed 
      - Poor in your Brownie pan
-Cook time – 35 – 40 Minutes



Side note – You can replace the Espresso with coffee brewed in your favorite method. My personal favorite was an Ethiopian roast brewed with the pour over. With a lighter roast, I went with a darker chocolate. If you find a roast that works amazingly in brownies, let me know! Cheers, PJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment