Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Salted Caramel Brownies

Anger and negativity are slowly becoming a norm in our society. Almost to a point where it seems odd to see someone smile or have a good day. It is not hard to find yourself falling into these gutters and the hardest part is pulling yourself out. You can use friend or set goals to help climb your way out, but in the end, you have to get up and move. 

Music has been my go to in mornings where I find it increasingly difficult to convince myself that I like morning. I don't, I hate them, they are worse than a non-weekend day. However, I have been noticing that my mindset in the morning sets a clear path for the rest of my day. So lately I have been making a conscientious effort to get myself in a good head space before the day officially begins. Lately with music, more specifically Pirates of the Caribbean movie scores, it has been the touch of salt my morning needs. Speaking of salt.

To make these brownies I decided that making the salted caramels from scratch would be fun and fairly simple. After a destroyed meat thermometer and 2 melted spatulas I leaned I should have just purchased the candy thermometer. I think the brownie would be just as delicious if you decided to use a different caramel recipe or just buy some already made.

Salted Caramel
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp sea salt 
4 tbls salted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Candy Thermometer 

- Line a 9x5 inch pan with baking paper, spray with cooking oil
- In a small sauce pan heat whipping cream, vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tbls butter. Stir and bring to a simmer. When it begins to simmer, remove from heat and cover. 
- In a medium sauce pan mix corn syrup and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, stir with candy thermometer. Cover with lid for 1 minute (this builds up condensation inside the pot and will help to prevent sugar from building up on the walls). After the minute, place candy thermometer in to the syrup and without stirring, bring it up to 310ºF 
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in cream mix. The syrup will bubble over the pot if you do this to quickly. When the cream is mixed in, return to heat and bring back up to 260ºF
- Stir in the remaining 2 tbls of butter
- Pour into lined pan and let it sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 tsp of salt over the caramel 
- When caramel has completely cooled down, cut about half into small squares or thin strips. The rest cut into larger pieces, wrap with strips of baking paper and keep in fridge for photos or to take to work and share. 

Brownies

1 cup of chocolate
1 cup of butter
4 eggs
1 cup of caster sugar
½ tsp of salt

½ cup of flour

- Heat oven to 350 F
- Melt chocolate and butter together
Whisk eggs, sugar, salt
Add chocolate to eggs and sugar
Sift flour and stir until mix is thicker but still wet
Pour batter into brownie pan (9 x 13 in)
Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, scatter your smaller caramel pieces over the brownie and return it back to to the over
- Bake for a total of 35-40 minutes (until skewer/cake tester comes out clean)
PJ

2 comments: